Saturday 19 February 2011

Back to the beginning

Time to actually use this blog it seems. Well I am presently reading through a load of my old writing on my fantasy universe, trying to get a feel for it after four years away from it.

Since of course that will mean nothing to most of you, if anyone reads this. My fantasy world, Bair, was my sole writing project from when I first started writing in 1998 right up until 2007. It started off as, regrettably, a rather poor rip off of Tolkien's Silmarillion (Which has always been my fave Tolkien book) However as I worked at it, it became rather less 'fantastical' and has ended up much more of an 'alternative world' fantasy, with a very long history and though the 'magical' stuff was still there, it became much more grounded.

In truth each revision I have done of the world has reduced the fantasy angle more and more. At present then I am fighting a bit of a battle with myself over the magical/fantastical elements and the more grounded ones. The old story, as I left it, was that a war from another dimension spilled into Bair, bringing the peoples of both sides of the war into the world, which then became the battleground. That is alright, I like these people, (I won't burden the blog with names yet) However when one side (the baddies) nearly win, I pulled a minor Deus Ex Machina to stop them, which basically 'removed' the most powerful. That I've been having issues with and it is made worse by the old concept that those 'most powerful' beings come back right at the end.

I'm still not decided on this, and it is something which I need to think about some more. It is perhaps different to me than most. For me, I've always been someone who has made a world for enjoyments sake, which I can then write stories in, and not someone who writes stories and just needs a world for background. Hence any change here is quite important.

True, one idea I had way back is to play the background of this way down. The entire lives of these beings are shadowy to the peoples who live in this world, so it can be semi secret.

*ponders*

No comments:

Post a Comment